Translate

zondag 8 maart 2015

3 more trees out of winter storage

Today 08.03.2015, three more trees left the winter storage:

Crataegus Monogyna, the common whiteflowering hawthorn which is native here in Belgium;
Sorbus Aucuparia, the rowan or mountain-ash tree, also a native species here;
Larix Kaempferi, or japanese larch.

The Crataegus got a little check-up before spring sets in. I cut back branchlets, and gave a couple of guy-wires an extra twist. Over the last 2 years it is becoming more and more promising. I still need 2 or 3 years where pruning back and ramification will have to find a balance, before the final ramification can begin and the bonsai can come out.

The Larix hadn't been pruned before or during winter so this job I did today. I cut back all twigs, and some branchlets were pruned away completely to get the canopy open enough. The 'character branch', had a part that disturbed the overall image too much, so first I shortened it and then I peeled of the bark half way. This works better now, its an eyecatchter but not too much, and the disturbing element is gone alltogether. Not a top tree, but a simple elegant and perhaps feminine tree.

The Sorbus is what I call my little gem. Not a big impressive thing, but grown from seed since 1997, of which only 2 to 3 years in the ground. The last 3 years it developed quite nicely. I am happy with this simple yet charming tree. I love all the characteristics of rowan trees. Hardly any wiring done to build up this tree.





Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten